|The Rover 75 was
the first of the P4 range and was exhibited at the London
Motor Show in 1949. The styling was inspired by the
American Studebaker and a particular feature of the early
cars was the single pass lamp in the centre of the grille
prompting the nickname of "Cyclops".
The engine was a six cylinder, 2103cc twin carburettor inlet over exhaust design giving 75bhp and the car had a top speed of 82mph and a fuel consumption of 24mpg. The brakes were a hydro/mechanical arrangement and the gearchange was on the steering column. A freewheel was also fitted. In 1952 the cyclops headlight was deleted in favour of a less avant guarde grille.
In 1955 the engine was enlarged to 2230cc with a single carburettor giving 80bhp and was a short stroke version of the so called "spread bore" unit introduced on the Rover 90.
The Rover 75 collected the major styling changes of the P4 range with the raised boot line, re-styled front wings and latterly the extra chrome and bumper styling.
The 75 was built until 1959 totalling 43,677 cars.
The Rover 75
George Hamill's Rover 75 "Cyclops"
Click here to return to list of models
Click here to return to contents page